Saturday 8 February 2014

New Beginnings...

I had a blog - edbcrafts for quite a while and, for the most part, I posted regularly on a fairly large range of crafts in which I have long been interested.  It mostly consisted of my own work - fine hand embroidery, quilting etc., that I've long been interested in.

In its latter stages, I recognised that I was running out of ideas.  I had, for want of a better term, dried up, lost interest.

Since I had a lot health issues going on at the time, I couldn't afford to let this get to me, so I shelved the situation until I felt ready to address it.

Well, that time has come.

I've realised that this 'hiatus' coincided with a major shift in my interests, energies and focus.  This, in no way whatsoever, comes from arrogance, but I'd reached the place where I felt I'd learned as much as I wanted to about the crafts I'd chosen.  That's certainly not to say that there was nothing left for me to learn; definitely not the case.  More precisely, I'd come to the point whereby there was nothing more I wanted to spend my time on in that particular craft.  And, of course, I know enough by now to realise that that sentiment could change in any instant.  So my life is still open to those kinds of changes - I consider that healthy.

No; I wanted to broaden my skills.  I had become increasingly interested in art, colour theory, drawing, sketching, art journalling etc.  So I abandoned the blog, rather than convey the sense of fracture, uncertainty and vulnerability that came along with this transition.

After all, I had enough years under my belt to have been able to build a fair level of confidence in my work.  That's not to say I considered myself an expert, by any means, but I was comfortable enough with the quality of my work and my ability to teach others.

The move towards art, then, wiped all that away in a flash: I felt like a kid moving up from elementary to junior school.  So much to learn; all the others in the place who knew much more than I did.  I would never be able to make the leap across that chasm.

So it's been that, for the past year or so, I've immersed myself in all things 'artsy'.  Of course, I've made the classic mistake of surrounding myself with so many of the contemporary supplies (because that would help me become a good artist, right?) that I am totally ashamed.  It's obscene.  I could. however, partially justify my madness by determining that I would MAKE as many stencils and stamps as I possibly could (and I have to say that I'm incredibly proud of them.)  I've enrolled in several online art courses and spent a ridiculous fortune on books.  Please don't get me wrong: while I was doing this, the conscious part of my brain KNEW that this was ridiculous, but it didn't stop me.

Now, however, burrowed within my nest of 'stuff', I really think I'm beginning to process what has been going on in my addled brain.  I've, more or less, stopped buying and vowed that if I can't make something myself, then I'm going to do without it.

Also - another element to this - I heard recently someone reference the difference between 'craft' and 'art'.  That the former always has a functional value and the latter an aesthetic.  I still have some thinking to do about this, but I hope, eventually, I'm going to come to my own resolution between the two that I can incorporate into my projects and with which I'm comfortable.

It's probably fair to say that this venture is going to be both exciting and traumatic for me - in equal measure.  I'm not at all used to sharing my 'art', yet I know it must always be healthy and useful to engage in ventures which promise lessons in humility.  So, we'll see.  I honestly don't think I have any preconceptions, which makes this an adventure in its own right...something probably unusual for my age and state of health.  But I'm more than up for it.

I want to end this by truly opening and baring my soul here.  I would so much welcome words of encouragement - and by that, I mean, specifically, constructive criticism and encouragement.  This feels as if I'm pegging my heart out on a washing line and just waiting to see what happens during the drying process.

I would also very much like to make new friends via this blog.  One thing I've learned during the past year or so, is that there is a wondrous community of like-minded spirits out there - all around the world.  I'd love to get to know more of you.

So, posts/photos to come, periodically.  For some of you who have already come into contact with me during this process, please bear with me, while I catch up with new stuff.

Much to learn, and high hopes.

Blessings, all

Elaine x

6 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine,
    They say " Nothing Ventured, nothing gained". I really admire your courage and braveness (something I am really low on right now). Sounds like you are starting on an exciting adventure. I would very much like to be your friend. Cheers to new friends and new adventures. Best Wishes!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michelle. I believe we're already 'Google+ friends', so that's good and if you also mean keeping in touch regularly, then that's even better. Looking forward to the ATCs to begin with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elaine -

    Kudos to you for restarting a blog and sharing your he(art). I know that's a huge step for many. I have been blogging for a couple of years now. Last year I committed to posting weekly and kept up for the most part. This year I took the plunge and committed to every day. So good, so far. I have had more followers since the beginning of the year than I have in all the years my blogs been active!

    I think we sometimes reach a saturation point of learning with regards to crafts. I consider myself to be an all-round crafter but have decided to pare it down to just 3. I'm working on downsizing my supplies and reorganizing my studio. A BIG project but enjoying the clearing and letting go process. Gotta get rid of the old before I can bring in the new!

    Wishing you much success with your blog.

    To new friends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, elteee, that is so very sweet of you. I can relate to everything you say. I think I might have done it in a slightly different order, though. Before I really got 'stuck in' to this, I collected all my supplies and organised them around my 'place' in my living room, so that it now looks nothing like one. I am, though, now able to have almost everything I need within arm's reach. And it's WONDERFUL! I still have a room upstairs crammed to the rafters with stuff, but now I only rarely need to go into it. I'm excited and fearful in roughly equal measures! If you're on google+, perhaps we can do the 'circle' thing, to keep in touch with each other's progress? Thanks again - Elaine x

      Delete
  4. Hi Elaine,
    After reading your first post, i just wanted to share some words by Andy Warhol:

    Don't think about making art, just get it done.
    Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it
    While they are deciding, make even more art!

    Enjoy the process :)
    Much love
    france

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I am an avid admirer of your work, so this comment is especially appreciated. I have, in fact, come across it, and others similar, quite a few times and I do try to imbibe that spirit and work with it, but I'm a beginner and still have moments of doubt. Your contribution, however, has, for me, given the sentiment even more power and, for that reason, I know I will be reminding myself to work from that special place much more easily, and more often. Many thanks, again, and much love to you, too x

    ReplyDelete